Sweet and Sunny Lo

Welcome to Sweet and Sunny Lo. NO SUGAR ADDED.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

In Search Of...

Me and a classmate of mine have always casually wondered, "Where do all the Asian girls in town go to have fun?" In our quest for Oriental delicacies, we went to The Rum Jungle. No girls. We went to that other place in West Ed, Escape. Some girls, depending on the night. But in the back of our minds, we were always wary of being shot at by gang members. We went to the Standard. A few yellow patches here and there, but nothing much. So the prospects seemed pretty slim for finding an Oriental utopia.

But on Friday night, we discovered where are the Oriental girls hung out: bubble tea shops. And it was due to the fact that a friend we were with didn't have his ID when going to the local sluttery barn, the Armoury, formerly known as Club Malibu. So instead of ditching the one friend who was ID-less, we decided to wander Whyte Ave for other sources of entertainment. And we stumbled upon this bubble tea shop just off Whyte, Dream Tea House.

Well, not girls, exclusively, but where the Asian ratio was something like 10:1. And there were people of all ages there. The thing I liked about it were the couches. Any place that has couches gets my seal of approval. Couches send the message that we're not all about making money and it's ok to just hang out here as long as you like, to sit and relax, and to take your time.

And it was a relaxed atmosphere, where people were playing dominos, and a game I don't think I had ever seen played in person: Jenga. Maybe next time I'll bring a deck of cards and play poker for the bill.

I ordered a bubble tea with logan and ginger. Dee-licious.

And after the ID-less one did leave, the rest of us decided to go to the Armoury, and it was everything I had expected, for better or worse. Packed with people, writhing like sardines in a can to Top 40. Hideous washrooms with paper towels clogging the sink.

I'm off to Montreal on Tuesday night, to go to PDW, aka Pay-Day-Dooble-Vay as the Quebecers might say, or Professional Development Week. It's a pharmacy student conference where we are supposed to be learning about the profession and listening to speakers talking about pharmacy. But the main draw is Montreal. I'll be back on Sunday night.

10 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Derelict said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger CanadianAttackBeaver said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger CanadianAttackBeaver said...

I tried bubble tea once, and I have to say, it's pretty gross. I can't really wrap my head around sucking up balls of goo that float about in my tea. Maybe that floats some people's boats, but not mine.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

I love bubble tea, and I have it every week here. When it's hot, there's nothing like a cold peach milk tea.

I had smoked plum once - it was sickening. Sickly sweet plum mixed with the flavour of smoked ham... what's going on here?

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Blight said...

Something is wrong with me. I am a paradox. I do not like the tapioca bubbles in my bubble tea either.

I buy tea to drink, not to eat. And masticating does not combine well with drinkelation.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger MistaLobo said...

Hey, bubble tea is good. The goo is good.

I've never heard of smoked plum, that sounds weird.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

Man, take another look on the menu. They have all kinds of bizarre flavours, and I'd definitely recommend you NOT trying the smoked plum.

There's a chain of bubble places here called 'Easy Way'. I hit them up every couple of days... so refreshing.

You what else rocks? That mango pudding we used to have at the Dim Sum that Johnny took us to. I couldn't find that in China.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Derelict said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Blight said...

Sun-dog is in M-town? He's getting the "POUTINE" face wash or something and can't bother to tell us about it.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

Oh, that's right. I thought he was just being a lazy bitch.

Well, he's probably getting a lap dance at the free buffet at Super Sexe. Try the roast beef Sunny, it's a little dry, but combined with the punani, it's not bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home