Sweet and Sunny Lo

Welcome to Sweet and Sunny Lo. NO SUGAR ADDED.

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Keeping It Real

I went to the Parkallen Restaurant the other day, a place that serves Lebanese cuisine. For some reason, my parents and I decided to check it out. When we first walked in, I was surprised. I was expecting some dingy dark place, with the smell of exotic food wafting in the air.

Frankly, I was disappointed. There was not one local Middle Eastern person to be seen. The decor was modern and clean, with decorations like a Van Gogh reproduction on the wall. Nowhere was there anything resembling Lebanese culture around. When I go to an ethnic restaurant, I want to experience what a local ethnic person would, you know, something authentic. It's not like I should be fearing any suicide bombers while eating at a Middle Eastern restaurant, but still, a flying body part or two would've added a little more ambience.

Secretly, I always laugh when I hear about somebody eating Chinese food in some surburban strip mall, with no Chinese customers inside. They're not eating real Chinese food. Fools, they wouldn't know Chinese food if it came and bit them in the ass. But now, I felt like the chump, eating moderately overpriced Lebanese food, in an otherwise Western restaurant. Maybe that's the problem of trying to 'keep it real'.

16 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

Ha! I hope Lebanese people are laughing at YOU, Lobo, the way Chinese people laugh at US when we eat Chinese food...

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger MistaLobo said...

Maybe it is karmic destiny.

"He who laughs also gets laughed at"
An old Chinese proverb

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

What about

"You can always fool a foreigner"

I heard that's an actual proverb, albeit a newer one.

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger CanadianAttackBeaver said...

Most of the food over here (with the exception of Indian Food) also falls into the heavily Westernised category. I have yet to find a good Dimsum place.

Lots of good Indian food though. I had some Lamb Vindaloo that knocked me on my ass.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Derelict said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger MistaLobo said...

Unfortunately, Derelict, the fabled Turducken is the creation of a sick, sick mind.

If you do want some real Chinese tastiness, just come on over one of these days.

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is way too cool. HI SUNNY! I found Mike T. on myspace, and through him, I'm stalking all of you old Grace Martin/Vernon Barford guys. (Yeah, I'm bored at work, so sue me.)

What I remember about Sunny Lo: He was really shy. Quiet, but unpredictable. Like you'd say something random but totally hilarious.

What you probably remember about me: I was tall. I still am. I was shy. I was the only girl in Miss Jones' Grade 6 class. Oh yeah, and I'm half Chinese. Ring any bells?

Tamara- "Tammy" Wisniewski

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger MistaLobo said...

Of course everyone remembers you, Tammy.

Glad to hear from you. Always fun hearing from old friends and classmates, especially to find out what they're up to now, and if they turned out like you expected.

You were tall, but there was Jenny, in Grade 5, who was the tallest. I still have the class photo.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

What? There was a girl that was taller than Tammy?

Whatever you girls were eating, why didn't I get some?

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! Her name was Jenny SMITH! But she was in grade 6 when we were in grade 5. And I distinctly remember her being too cool to be friends with me.

I hope she is now pumping gas somewhere. Bitch.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger MistaLobo said...

Wow, sounds like you really didn't like her. I don't remember interacting with her at all, probably because she could block the sunlight pretty easily.

I do remember Lee though, that sneaky bastard that he was, pulling my pants down during music class.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

ha ha! That sounds pretty funny, but I guess you didn't laugh.

Actually, David Hughes pulled down my pants on the playground. No, wait... maybe it was... Blight?

Anyway, after that day, I never wore sweatpants to school again.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger MistaLobo said...

Yes, that is one of the definitive signs you were in late elementary or junior high: sweatpants. And you gotta be careful about the stiffy factor, especially at that age.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

Whoa, Sunny, easy there...

Did you have 'Stiffy' problems?

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Blight said...

I don't recall pulling your sweats down, must have been Dave H. I remember when we were all jumping on this big wooden platform and Graham went flying backwards and landed on his head.

Graham... and his tag shield...

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Cibbuano said...

What was his last name? Graham....

Man, in elementary, Carl and I and some other boys made Graham cry so often. Then we felt bad. Then we forgot about why we felt bad and made him cry again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home